A fresh take on a Thanksgiving tradition. Asian and Indian influences turn ordinary cranberry sauce into something special. This northwestern classic highlights cranberries with pinot noir, curry and ginger.
refashioned from epicurius
YIELD: 2 1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups raw cranberries
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups Helvetia Pinot Noir (2014 vintage used here)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cranberries and fresh ginger; strir until cranberries begin to burst, about 3 minutes. Add wine and sugar; boil until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Add crystallized ginger, curry powder and five-spice powder. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover;chill.) Serve sauce cold.